This is an affordable and convenient way to attack our Ladder Series of High Performance Courses. Take the Acura High Performance Course, Acura Advanced High Performance Course and Lapping Program on consecutive days and receive a discounted price. Registration begins at 9:00 am. Class begins at 9:30 am and ends no later than 6:00 pm. This courses takes place at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, 7721 Lexington-Steam Corners Rd., Lexington, Ohio.
Learn why your vehicle performs the way it does and how to maximize that performance on the streets, in autocross competitions and on the race track. This course covers the physics and dynamics of precision driving then tests participant skills behind-the-wheel in intense off-track performance driving drills. The highlight of this entry level program includes an hour-long, on-track lapping session at day's end. Participants will also spend time driving the Honda S2000 roadster.
Amount of Seat Time
- Classroom covers the physics and dynamics of high performance driving
- Understand seating position and how it relates to your inputs to the controls
- Tests participants behind-the-wheel in intense, off-track high performance drills
- Skid car drill covers over-steer, under-steer and loss of control recovery
- Slalom course helps you perfect your timing and cornering skills
- High speed braking and turning drill dissects the corner and allows fine tuning of entry, apex and exit
- Autocross/Line drill helps you understand the combination of a series of turns to get in and out of the important corners with more speed and momentum.
- Participate in an hour-long, on-track lapping session at the day's end
- Participants will also spend time driving the Honda S2000 Roadsters
Paddock Drills - 4 hours
On Track Lapping - 1 hour
Attack the same course that challenges the world's top racers by breaking it down in to smaller segments and practicing those segments over and over. Refine your new high performance skills, learn more precise lines and apply them during high-speed cornering and lead follow lapping drills. The final step to open lapping includes Instructor rides and passing drills before taking the green flag to several hours of open lapping with controlled passing on the front and back straight. Participants must first complete the Acura High Performance Course. All driving instruction takes place on the racetrack!
Amount of Seat Time
- Short Classroom reviewing day one with Q&A and discussing subtleties and driving lines for a quick Mid-Ohio lap time
- Track ride along with Instructors in Honda Odyssey Van/Honda Pilot discussing lines and reference marks
- Lead/follow Segment drills covering all corners of the race track in three smaller segments including Instructor rides
- Passing drills on front and back straight during full course lapping in groups
- Multiple laps riding with Instructor to further define proper lines, markers and techniques for open lapping
- Open lapping time for participants includes the option to Lead/Follow with Instructor, Instructor rides, Pit Lane downloads and critique
On Track Drills - 4 hours
On Track Open Lapping - 2 hours
The Lapping Program is the most challenging - and fun - driving experience you'll ever have. Spend a full day lapping Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course and see why the track is called the "Most Competitive in the U.S."
Amount of Seat Time
- Van rides and a track walk examining the subtleties of Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course with profession Championship winning Instructors
- Instructor lead follow session to review and understand proper lines and techniques
- Full-course, open lapping sessions with controlled passing areas
- Options to lead/follow the instructors or ride with instructors during open lapping sessions
- Instructor observation, feedback and critique of driving skills at key, challenging areas of the track
- Instructor critique of in car video at participants request
On Track Drills - 1 hour
On Track Open Lapping - 4 hours or more
This Course Is Ideally Suited For:
- Performance driving enthusiasts with a desire to drive on Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in a controlled, safe and fun learning environment
- Car club members interested in a better understanding of vehicle dynamics and car control in a safe and controlled low traffic, non racing environment
- Aspiring drivers interested in learning the how's, what's, where's and why's of becoming a licensed open or closed wheel race car driver
- Any driver interested in learning to be a better driver and improving focus and behind the wheel skills
*Schedule subject to change
- Tuesday-Thursday, April 23-25 - SOLD OUT
- Monday-Wednesday, May 20-22 SOLD OUT
- Monday-Wednesday, June 10-12 - SOLD OUT
- Tuesday-Thursday, July 23-25
- Tuesday-Thursday, August 20-22
- Monday-Wednesday, September 16-18
- Tuesday-Thursday, October 8-10
- Friday-Sunday, October 25-27
$2,370 including use of an Acura ILX
$1,900 with your street-legal car
Participants must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license to enroll.
All participants using a school vehicle are required to sign a liability waiver that states, in the event of damages to the vehicle, you would be responsible for up to $3500 in damages on day one, up to $6,750 in damages on day two and up to $6,750 in damages on day three.
Using your street car for a class? The Mid-Ohio School recommends the following for all on-track programs:
Personal vehicles will be required to have, at a minimum, working factory installed restraint systems (working seat belts) or the equivalent. Tires should have at least 3/32 tread or be DOT approved race tires. Brake pads should be less than ¼ used, performance brake pads recommended. No visible fluid leaks. No convertibles permitted on Day 2 or Day 3 unless equipped with proper aftermarket roll cage or removable hardtop. No SUV's, vans or trucks permitted. Loaner helmets are available at the track.
Suggested maintenance to perform prior to arrival:
- Torque wheels to recommended specs
- Check/adjust tire pressure
- Flush brake fluid system
- Bring extra brake fluid and motor oil
- Bring a tire gauge; air is available at track
- Remove all loose items from vehicle
- Check tire pressure often during the day
- Re-torque wheels after one or two track sessions
"I can not tell you how pleased I am with the experience!"
"The school exceeded my highest expectations and I enjoyed myself immensely."
--Dr. Gary T. Seng
"I attended the Three Day Advanced High Performance School April 21-24 2009. As for my driving skills, I found out that I wasn't as good as I thought I was, but when I left I was better than I thought I would be.
I am not a racer, just a guy who enjoys driving. In 2008 I parked my rear wheel drive truck due to high gasoline prices and bought a 1998 Dodge Neon to use as a daily driver. To have fun, I began doing some local autocrosses, quickly accumulated more cones than Dairy Queen and dominated the entire bottom of the G Stock rankings. Hence the need for the school.
The school was perfect for learning to be a better driver - on the track or just daily driving. The skid car session with Tommy was very helpful. By the end of the course, I felt very comfortable applying the correct mix of steering, braking, throttle and apexing at a speed I was comfortable with.
Please give a big 'thank you' to Jim Bishop, Tommy Byrne, Dave Roush, and Brian Till. I thoroughly enjoyed the school, and will be back for some lapping programs in the future."
In-car video of Acura ILX on track at The Mid-Ohio School provided by Helix