Learn why your vehicle performs the way it does and how to maximize that performance on the street for more driving enjoyment and to be prepared for any emergency situation. This course covers the physics and dynamics of precision driving then tests participant skills behind-the-wheel in intense off-track performance driving drills. The highlight of this entry level program includes an hour-long, on-track lapping session at day's end. Participants will also spend time driving the Honda S2000 roadster. Sign in begins at 9:00 am. Classroom session begins at 9:30 am and the day concludes by 6:00 pm. This course takes place at the venerable Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
Amount of Seat Time
- Classroom covers the physics and dynamics of precision driving
- Understand seating position and how it relates to your inputs to the controls
- Tests participants behind-the-wheel in intense, off-track high performance drills
- Skid car drill covers over-steer, under-steer and loss of control recovery
- Slalom course helps you perfect your timing and cornering skills
- High speed braking and turning drill dissects the corner and teaches emergency reactions
- Autocross/Line drill helps you understand proper cornering techniques to be smooth and precise.
- Participate in an hour-long, on-track lapping session at the day's end
- Participants will also spend time driving the Honda S2000 Roadsters
Paddock Drills - 4 hours
On Track Lapping - 1 hour
This Course Is Ideally Suited For:
- Performance driving enthusiasts with a desire to improve their street driving skills and to be prepared for any and all emergency situations on the road
- Drivers who have had a previous incident or loss of control that has made them nervous or tentative behind the wheel
- Younger drivers and/or families interested in a bonding experience that will also make them better drivers
- Any driver interested in learning to be a better driver and improving focus and behind the wheel skills
*Schedule subject to change
- Saturday, April 19
- Monday, April 28
- Friday, May 9
- Saturday, May 17
- Monday, June 9
- Friday, June 20
- Monday, June 23
- Tuesday, July 8
- Monday, July 28
- Friday, August 22
- Friday, September 5
- Friday, September 26
- Monday, September 29
- Monday, October 6
- Saturday, October 18
- Friday, October 24
- Tuesday, November 11
$775 including use of an Acura ILX
$650 with your street-legal car
Must have a valid driver's license.
Must be at least 18 years of age or have completed our Honda Teen Defensive Driving Program
All participants must sign a liability waiver when using a school car. This waiver states, in the event of damage to the vehicle, you would be responsible for up to $3500 in damages.
Using your street car for a class? The Mid-Ohio School recommends the following for all on-track programs:
Personal vehicles will be required to have, at a minimum, working factory installed restraint systems (working seat belts) or the equivalent. Tires should have at least 3/32 tread or be DOT approved race tires. Brake pads should be less than ¼ used, performance brake pads recommended. No visible fluid leaks. No convertibles unless equipped with proper roll-over protection. No SUV's, vans or trucks permitted. Loaner helmets are available at the track.
Suggested maintenance to perform prior to arrival:
- Torque wheels to recommended specs
- Check/adjust tire pressure
- Flush brake fluid system
- Bring extra brake fluid and motor oil
- Bring a tire gauge; air is available at track
- Remove all loose items from vehicle
- Check tire pressure often during the day
- Re-torque wheels after one or two track sessions
"I went to the school to learn the fundamentals of racing and also to do some lapping around Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. After I went once, I found that it was just not enough. There is so much to learn and the seat time behind the wheel becomes addictive."
--Bop Hallapy (Dublin, Ohio), Acura High Performance and Advanced High Performance graduate
"I appreciate all you did toward making my first track driving experience such a memorable one."
--Nancy L. Altenburg
"Thanks for a great day! It was the best Christmas present I could have hoped for."
In-car video of Acura ILX on track at The Mid-Ohio School provided by Helix