Learn why your vehicle performs the way it does and how to maximize that performance on the street, in autocross competition and on the race track. This course covers the physics and dynamics of precision driving then tests participant skills behind-the-wheel in intense off-track performance driving drills. The highlight of this entry level program includes an hour-long, on-track lapping session at day's end. Participants will also spend time driving the Honda S2000 roadster. Sign in begins at 9:00 am. Classroom session begins at 9:30 am and the day concludes by 6:00 pm. This course takes place at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, 7721 Lexington-Steam Corners Rd., Lexington, Ohio.
Amount of Seat Time
- Classroom covers the physics and dynamics of high performance driving
- Understand seating position and how it relates to your inputs to the controls
- Tests participants behind-the-wheel in intense, off-track high performance drills
- Skid car drill covers over-steer, under-steer and loss of control recovery
- Slalom course helps you perfect your timing and cornering skills
- High speed braking and turning drill dissects the corner and allows fine tuning of entry, apex and exit
- Autocross/Line drill helps you understand proper cornering techniques to maximize your speed and momentum.
- Participate in an hour-long, on-track lapping session at the day's end
- Participants will also spend time driving the Honda S2000 Roadsters
Paddock Drills - 4 hours
On Track Lapping - 1 hour
This Course Is Ideally Suited For:
- Performance driving enthusiasts with a desire to drive on Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in a controlled, safe and fun learning environment
- Car club members interested in a better understanding of vehicle dynamics and car control in a safe and controlled low traffic, non racing environment
- Aspiring drivers interested in learning the how's, what's, where's and why's of becoming a licensed open or closed wheel race car driver
- Any driver interested in learning to be a better driver and improving focus and behind the wheel skills
*Schedule subject to change
- Tuesday, April 23 - SOLD OUT
- Sunday, May 19
- Monday, May 20
- Monday, June 10 - SOLD OUT
- Thursday, June 20
- Sunday, June 23 - SOLD OUT
- Monday, July 8
- Tuesday, July 23
- Wednesday, August 7
- Tuesday, August 20
- Thursday, August 29
- Saturday, September 7
- Monday, September 16
- Sunday, September 29
- Thursday, October 3
- Tuesday, October 8
- Saturday, October 12
- Friday, October 18
- Friday, October 25
$775 including use of an Acura ILX
$650 with your street-legal car
Must have a valid driver's license.
Must be at least 18 years of age or have completed our Honda Teen Defensive Driving Program
All participants must sign a liability waiver when using a school car. This waiver states, in the event of damage to the vehicle, you would be responsible for up to $3500 in damages.
Using your street car for a class? The Mid-Ohio School recommends the following for all on-track programs:
Personal vehicles will be required to have, at a minimum, working factory installed restraint systems (working seat belts) or the equivalent. Tires should have at least 3/32 tread or be DOT approved race tires. Brake pads should be less than ¼ used, performance brake pads recommended. No visible fluid leaks. No convertibles unless equipped with proper roll-over protection. No SUV's, vans or trucks permitted. Loaner helmets are available at the track.
Suggested maintenance to perform prior to arrival:
- Torque wheels to recommended specs
- Check/adjust tire pressure
- Flush brake fluid system
- Bring extra brake fluid and motor oil
- Bring a tire gauge; air is available at track
- Remove all loose items from vehicle
- Check tire pressure often during the day
- Re-torque wheels after one or two track sessions
"I went to the school to learn the fundamentals of racing and also to do some lapping around Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. After I went once, I found that it was just not enough. There is so much to learn and the seat time behind the wheel becomes addictive."
--Bop Hallapy (Dublin, Ohio), Acura High Performance and Advanced High Performance graduate
"I appreciate all you did toward making my first track driving experience such a memorable one."
--Nancy L. Altenburg
"Thanks for a great day! It was the best Christmas present I could have hoped for."
In-car video of Acura ILX on track at The Mid-Ohio School provided by Helix